Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Book Review: The Tao of Feeblecorn

The Tao of Feeblecorn

By:  Paul Goat Allen

Publish Date:  May 14, 2013

Format:  ebook, 11pgs

Genre:  Fiction

Series:  Stand-alone

Recommendation:  If you love rich descriptive tales with a poetic prose, pick it up.  These short pages will mesmerize.

Synopsis:
On an idyllic summer afternoon, the end of the world arrives uninvited on the doorsteps of residents of a sleepy little town in the suburbs of Syracuse, New York.

The roots of this impending cataclysm go back almost a century and stretch deep underneath the ground to the subterranean labyrinths beneath an abandoned quarry with a dark history - where a nightmarish evil has been growing unchecked for decades...

This isn't that story.

First Sentence:
the madman had lived in the upper floors of the old barn ever since he could remember.

Purchase At:
Amazon ~ Kindle   /   Barnes & Nobles ~ Nook


**I purchased this story for my own enjoyment.

My Thoughts and Summary:
The glimpse of a madman living in the old barn as he goes through his days.  How he came to be, and what he dreams of... which could come true...

This is a short read, a full eleven pages.  The descriptions are rich and vibrant, drawing a clear picture of the surroundings and the rise and fall of emotions of the madman.  I feel as I've just visited a new place in the world and got an inside glance to Paul Goat Allen as he bares a portion of his soul in this poetic tale.  Mad me feel for this man, and toward the world that hurt and shunned him.  Even create him.  I even smiled and chuckled at the one-liners remembered by his grandfather.

A bound of emotions wrapped together tightly.  Memories of his life told, creating an image of the man we see.  Yet, hope seeps through at moments.

In the end...wow.  A part of me hopes the madman's fantasy has come true.

At the end of the story, a feeling crept in me that reminded me of A Canticle for Leibowitz.  I enjoyed that story, and this short one.

8 comments:

  1. It's funny I wouldn't have exepected that with a cover like this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melliane, I would agree. I have been waiting for this author to bring out work for far to many years, and was so glad when he did. It was really good. :) Thank you!

      Delete
  2. A short book, but it works. I love when that happens. I like the sound of the writing. I'm going to have to check out this author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa (B&T) It was great. I liked that it was short & I could easily add it into the mix. Nice break. :) I hope you like what you see. I don't think Paul has much out, this is the first in far to long. :) Thank you!

      Delete
  3. Alas, I'm not certain this one would be for me. Cie la vie....glad you enjoyed it though! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gina R. That's okay. :) We all have those that catch our eye and those that don't. I completely understand. :) Thank you greatly for stopping still! :)

      Delete
  4. I have this in my tbr pile and am anxious to read it, so glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kimba, I really hope you enjoy it. Paul did a wonderful job here. :)

      Delete

Sorry, got 106 spam comments in less than 24hrs. Had to turn on again.

I love comments! Please share your thoughts. I will respond here in the comments back to you.

I'll try again without word verification, but if Spammers get out of hand again I'll turn it back on.

Thank you for visiting!