Saturday, October 8, 2011

Flash Fiction Friday (24)

Dottie over at Tink's Place have come up with the idea for a Monday Morning Flash Fiction challenge. Each Monday a new picture prompt will be posted and if you choose to participate you post your story on Friday - 350 words, give or take.

I have to thank Blodeuedd at Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell for introducing me to this fun meme. I don't know if I'll be able to keep up with every week, but I'll give it a try from time to time.

The Image This Week:
By:  Melissa
My heart thrashed in my chest as fast as the speed-metal my punk brother listens to, to the point it hurt my ribs.  Gasping for air I knew that...that thing could hear me, if their ears worked.  But they had to; I couldn't guess anything to my favor.

My throat's swollen shut from the panting and heavy breathing I've been doing.  I needed to keep moving to get away from it.  I started running again, past all the large stone front buildings.  It wasn't worth the time stopping to try the doors to find a place to hide.  I'd already tried it.  They're locked.  I've realized the buildings where the same.  A repeat of the same seven buildings, over and over and over again.  The street never seemed to end and I couldn't see an end.

Nowhere to go and I was just about out of energy to run.  Whatever was following me will over take me soon and who knows what it will do to me.  I can hear the slapping of its feet on the brick road behind me.

Lightning flashed, the crack startling me into a stumble.  I trip over my own feet, sluggish from exhaustion, scrapping my hands as I tumble to the bricks.  Turning to sit on my butt, I saw it.  No them.  Closing the distance between us.  The red on the ragged clothing, dragging of a leg here, the shuffle of another there.  Skin peeling back like someone took a potato peeler to their graying skin but didn't finish.  The stench that drifted toward me, and I turned my head to throw-up, it was like raw meat left to bake in the sun.  I could see the maggots and insects crawling through the meat and when I turned back to the monsters coming toward me, I did see the creepy crawlies in the skin and on their faces, or what should have been a face.

I didn't have the energy to run any further, all I could see where the claws, bone and torn flesh of hands coming at me.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My eyes flew open, breathing radical, heart pounding like a hammer in my chest.  I looked around in the dark; I didn't know where I was.  My room, I'm in my room.  In my soft bed, under warm blankets.  But as I turn my head, I see the buildings similar to my nightmare.

6 comments:

  1. Very action-packed, this one. Speed metal? Like metal on speed? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. *puts whip away*

    Oh yes, this was worth the wait. Now, I must turn on every light in the house. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Freaky, I like.

    I see you survived the whip of Melissa's, and I did not.

    Sounds like nightmares I would haev

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anachronist - lol. That's exactly it! ;D Metal on speed. hee hee. Thank you!

    Melissa (Books&Things) - You are really to nice to me. And it's not that bad to need to turn the lights one. ;) But thank you! Glad you enjoyed it.

    Blodeuedd - hee hee. glad you liked it! I was trying for freaky, don't know if I really hit it, but tried. Oh, and you didn't get a flash up at all!?!?! Ooooooo, your in trouble! hee hee. But you usually double yours up the next week if you miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Can I say "great" and "eww" at the same time? Well done, very descriptive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carolsnotebook - :) Awww, thank you. You are to kind. I'm glad you really liked this one. :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Sorry, got 106 spam comments in less than 24hrs. Had to turn on again.

I love comments! Please share your thoughts. I will respond here in the comments back to you.

I'll try again without word verification, but if Spammers get out of hand again I'll turn it back on.

Thank you for visiting!